Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2024 17:39:26 GMT by Philippa H.
Hi HMRC, I have tried to register for self-assessment for one month, but every time I have been rejected with the reason 'the address provided does not match our records'. I have checked and made sure that the address is consistent with the one in my Personal Tax account, but the application was still rejected with the same reason. Can you please fix this bug as soon as possible? As I need to get my Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) for doing my Self Assessment, and I am currently living abroad so cannot file the Self Assessment online according to the requirement on your webpage https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return, so the deadline for me is really close!! I don't want to receive any penalty just because of your technical issue!! Kind regards, 

Name removed admin .
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2024 08:42:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi

I am sorry that you are having issues registering for Self Assessment.
If you are unable to file online you can downaload the registration form online and submit by post.
If self employed the form will be CWF1 Register for Self Assessment if you’re self-employed.
If not self employed the form will be SA1 Register for Self Assessment if you're not self-employed.
You can also contact HMRC to review/update Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2024 08:50:22 GMT by Philippa H.
Hi, But I have never filed a Self Assessment before and need to get a UTR first. Can I file the Self Assessment without the UTR? In my opinion, with only the national insurance number should be more than enough. I have already tried six times and every time it's either I received no response or I received an email says 'the address doesn't match the record'; the address I used is exactly the same one as the one in the HMRC app so there is absolutely no mistake with the address I entered. All it seems to me is a 'no UTR no Self Assessment, you delay and we fine' game
Posted Mon, 09 Sep 2024 07:41:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Philippa H,
The links provided in the previous answer register you for Self Assessment. Registering you for Self Assessment generates a UTR, which we then send you.  You can then use this UTR to file your Self Assessment return.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.