Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: repayment pending disappeared

So the next saga in my query, my bank payment pending has completely disappeared and now shows that apparently I owe X amount of money despite the fact that the amount of tax I owed was deducted from the amount that was confirmed for repayment. I was told by an advisor that my claim for my refund will be finalized by the 26th September. This was 2 weeks ago but now my account says that I owe money and no mention of the overpayment anywhere to be found. What’s going on here please?
  • RE: repayment pending disappeared

I have been self employed and used self assessment tax returns all my working life and hmrc have always provided an efficient service. However, this year I submitted my tax return on 3 may 2024 ( late I know, but wouldn’t be the first time) , it was received and calculated by hmrc and my account showed how much I was owed in overpayment after I had paid any late fees, penalties and interest. I requested a refund which was received by them on the 6 may. After which my request was confirmed and my account showed ‘0’ in my account. The more detailed information stated ‘bank payment pending’. On the 13 June my account still showing the same information I contacted the helpline and was told it could take up to 10 weeks to complete! It has now been 10 weeks and 2 days. I have contacted them several times through the general enquiries and helpline only to be told that they can’t give me any more information than I have already received. And the online chat is useless as it only ever comes back with ‘no advisor is available to help at the moment’. I am in a rather desperate situation myself and even this doesn’t seem to have any impact in my case. They were very quick to take the money I owed but no one seems to be willing to help me out with some sort of explanation as to what is happening with my return. This is a huge matter for me and my family. So I would like to know what am I supposed to do now moving forward please HMRC???