Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: One off foreign income payment

    Hi, I'm still slightly confused. I am filling in the self assessment form online. I am not sure if I need to check foreign income or self-employed businesses. I do not have an actual business. I completed a job for University of Amsterdam, invoiced them and received one payment in sterling directly in my UK bank account.
  • RE: One off foreign income payment

    Thank you. And am I able to claim any tax back if I have been taxed at source in the Netherlands?
  • One off foreign income payment

    I am a UK resident, currently employed full time at a UK university (£32k annual salary). In March, I completed work for University of Amsterdam; I had to invoice them in dollars ($3,608) and received payment on my UK account (£2,753) as a bank transfer. It was my only income outside of my full time UK university role. Do I need to pay income tax and how do I do that? I have never filed self assessment, I'm unsure if I need to register as self employed for this job I completed.