Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: House Major Refurbishment Reduced VAT Empty property 2 years

Hi All you need to do is contact your local council tax office at your local authority. Ask them to provide you with the evidence via a letter that documents that the property has been empty for over the necessary 2 year requirement to claim a reduced rate of vat. I just dropped them an email and I had a letter back within 24 hours. There is usually an "empty homes officer" that works for all local councils who's job it is, is to assist in getting empty homes back into use. So liaise with them they tend to be very helpful. Get on the case though as this is a really beneficial way of saving thousands in VAT when completing a renovation to an already empty property, as we have found out.
  • House Major Refurbishment Reduced VAT Empty property 2 years

We started building work on a property that has been empty for over 3 years when the work commenced. I have the necessary evidence off the empty homes officer at the local authority to validate this. my question is that we were not aware that there was reduced VAT until this weekend following a visit to the NEC homebuilders show. We are now half way through the major refurbishment and have already paid many invoices at the standard rate of VAT. How do we claim back the overpayments of VAT at 20% already made to our VAT registered builder? What happens now in the future if contractors refuse to reduce the rate of VAT to 5% on their invoices what can we do then? Is there anyway we can claim ourselves for materials that were not supplied at the lower rate?

[Display name changed - Admin]