Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Split Year Treatment & Capital Gains Tax

I will qualify for split year in the 2024/25 tax year. I will be non-UK resident until 1 June, and UK resident thereafter. 1. If I dispose of some UK listed shares in the non-UK part of the tax year - please confirm there would be no CGT liability in the UK for the 2024/25 tax year on these shares - as only UK income (not gains) would become taxable in the UK part of the tax year? 2. Some of my shares I purchased as a UK resident and some as a non-UK resident. For the shares purchased whilst I was UK resident, am I right in thinking I must avoid repurchasing the same shares for 30 days in order to benefit from rebasing the acquisition cost. However, for the shares purchased as a non-UK resident, I do not need to leave 30 days gap before repurchasing?
  • UK Pension Income Taxable in Bahrain - Terms of Double Tax Agreement

I am British by origin, and have lived in Bahrain for the last 9 years. It is the norm in Bahrain for the residency certificate to be issued every 2 years, hence I do not have permeant residency, simply a 2 year residency which I have to renew once it expires. I am applying for an NT tax code for my UK pension income which I want to start drawing. I have residency for the period in which I am wanting to take an income from my UK pension, so I assume I will be able to get an NT code issued? The notes section of the DT-Individual Form states I just need to enclose a copy of your Bahrain certificate of residence. Which is the document with a 2 year validity. Please let me know if I can proceed on this basis.
  • Pension Payment to NON-UK Resident in Excess of the Lifetime Allowance

I live in the UAE. As per the double tax treaty between the UK and UAE, pension income will not be taxed in the UK. If I take 100k from my UK pension, and I have 0% of my lifetime allowance remaining, this amount would normally be subject to income tax (for a UK resident). As I am UAE resident is it possible for this amount to be paid out by my pension provider using my NT tax-code, or would I need to submit a DT Individual form to reclaim the tax from HMRC?
  • PCLS on a QROPS

I have a QROPS which was funded by UK tax relieved funds (via a transfer from a UK registered scheme in 2016). I am now UK resident. The Relevant Transfer Fund (RTF) was 400k, and it is now worth 600k. Is the maximum PCLS 25% of the RTF or 25% of the current value. So is PLCS 100k or 150k?