Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• 'Non-domiciled' Residents and Tax on Foreign Income

I was born in Hong Kong and have been living in the UK for 9 months (Jul 2023 to Mar 2024). I have never lived in the UK before. My questions are: (1) do I qualify as a 'non-domiciled' resident? does this 'non-domiciled' resident status automatically apply to me based on what I have said about myself above? or does it only apply to me after I have applied for it by some method? (2) If I am a non-domiciled resident and I have met the criteria that my overseas income is less than GBP 2,000 in the tax year and I do not bring it into the UK, do I still need to complete the self-assessment return for this overseas income?
  • Split Year Treatment

I have reviewed the rules and understand that I am qualified for the split year treatment. My questions are: (1) does the split year treatment apply automatically if I am qualified to this? or will the split year treatment only apply to me after I have applied for it through the self-assessment form or other methods? (2) when I fill in the self-assessment form, whether I need to report income for the whole tax year or only report the inform for the UK part of the year? Thank you.
  • RE: Do I need to submit self assessment?

Hi, I would like to confirm if we are talking about the same topic? I would like to check for the details for split year treatment listed below. https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/residence-domicile-and-remittance-basis/rdrm12000 I would like to confirm if the split year treatment will apply automatically since I have checked, and I am qualified to this. or will the split year treatment only apply to me after I have applied for it through the self-assessment form or other methods? Thank you very much.
  • RE: Do I need to submit self assessment?

Hi, I would like to confirm if the split year treatment will apply automatically if I qualify? or will the split year treatment only apply to me after I have applied for it through the self-assessment form or other methods? Thank you very much.
  • Do I need to submit self assessment?

Hi, I would like to ask for the following. Background: 1. I am a Hong Kong resident and I have a job that earn me income in Hong Kong from Apr 2023 to Jun 2023. 2. I became a UK tax resident from Sep 2023. 3. I have been employed and earning salary in the UK from Nov 2023 and tax is paid directly under PAYE. 4. I received bank interest from UK bank (non ISA account) and Hong Kong bank and it is below the personal savings allowance. 5. I don't have any other income other than the salary from my job and the interest from the UK and HK bank accounts. Based on the above, since my income tax is already submitted under PAYE and all my bank interests are below the personal savings allowance, do I still need to submit the split year treatment and self-assessment in this case? Thank you very much.
  • RE: Tax on the currency exchange

Thank you for your reply. I would like to clarify once again, do I have to pay tax in this case? Step 1. I convert HKD1,000,000 into GBP and I get GBP100,448.96 (1 HKD = 0.100439 GBP) in Hong Kong bank account. Step 2. I transfer the GBP100,448.96 from Hong Kong bank account to UK bank account. Step 3. I transfer the GBP100,448.96 from UK bank account back to Hong Kong bank account. Step 4: I convert the GBP100,448.96 back to HKD and I get HKD1010,000 (1GBP = 10.0548577 HKD) in Hong Kong bank account. Step 5: I use the HKD1010,000 as personal expenditure in Hong Kong (i.e. outside the UK). In this case, I have earned HKD10,000, do I need to pay tax due to the earning in exchange rate?