Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 14:21:22 GMT by PT Yu
Hi, I would like to ask for the following. Background: 1. I am a Hong Kong resident and I have a job that earn me income in Hong Kong from Apr 2023 to Jun 2023. 2. I became a UK tax resident from Sep 2023. 3. I have been employed and earning salary in the UK from Nov 2023 and tax is paid directly under PAYE. 4. I received bank interest from UK bank (non ISA account) and Hong Kong bank and it is below the personal savings allowance. 5. I don't have any other income other than the salary from my job and the interest from the UK and HK bank accounts. Based on the above, since my income tax is already submitted under PAYE and all my bank interests are below the personal savings allowance, do I still need to submit the split year treatment and self-assessment in this case? Thank you very much.
Posted Thu, 07 Mar 2024 12:17:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi PT Yu,
Please refer to Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return.
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2024 11:39:09 GMT by PT Yu
Hi, I would like to confirm if the split year treatment will apply automatically if I qualify? or will the split year treatment only apply to me after I have applied for it through the self-assessment form or other methods? Thank you very much.
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2024 16:05:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
The pension threshold is based on the level of your annual income from employment / self employment net profit / partnership net profit.  
The amount that qualifies for tax relief, is the lower of your annual income or £40000 (£60000 in 23/24).  
You can carry forward unused annual allowances from the 3 previous tax years.  
Where you carry forward unused annual allowance and the pension payments you make into the pension scheme (not your employers payments) remain below the threshold, you do not need to report to HMRC.
You do not include the payments made into your pension scheme made by your employer, as you cannot claim tax relief on these payments.
Check if you have unused annual allowances on your pension savings
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2024 16:14:21 GMT by PT Yu
Hi, I would like to confirm if we are talking about the same topic? I would like to check for the details for split year treatment listed below. https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/residence-domicile-and-remittance-basis/rdrm12000 I would like to confirm if the split year treatment will apply automatically since I have checked, and I am qualified to this. or will the split year treatment only apply to me after I have applied for it through the self-assessment form or other methods? Thank you very much.
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2024 11:37:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi PT Yu

Split year treatment is not automatically given.  You will need to review the guidance on split year treatment to determine that is available to you, based on your circumstances.  
If split year treatment does apply, you need to claim it through a self assessment tax return.  
If it does not apply, then you need to declare your world-wide income for the whole tax year in a self assessment tax return, where you have income or capital gains from overseas.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.