Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Paying NI gaps between April 2006 and April 2016 at Class 2

The deadline for paying NI gaps between April 2006 and April 2016 has been extended to 5 April 2025. Is it still possible to pay for these gaps at Class 2 level if you were employed overseas during the period April 2006 and April 2016? If so, what is the process, as this is not entirely clear on the Gov.UK website. Thanks for your insights........
  • Which forms of income contribute to the determination of my marginal rate of tax?

I am looking into my potential tax exposure for the current tax year and would like to be clear on which forms of income contribute to the determination of my marginal rate of tax (as this impacts any starting rate allowance on interest earned, the dividend tax rate and the rate of tax on CGT I will pay). Is it purely income from employment and pensions that determines the marginal rate of tax ? (i.e. whether I am within my personal allowance of £12,570, a basic or a higher rate tax payer), and this marginal rate of tax is then used to guide whether I pay 8.75% or 33.75% tax on dividends (after the £1000 dividend allowance), and 10% or 20% on non-property Capital Gains (after the £6000 CG allowance), and also determines the amount (if any) of savings interest-related income that qualifies for the starting rate (in addition to the £1000 interest allowance). OR are there other forms of income that are taken into account in determining the applicable marginal rate of tax. I cannot find simple and clear guidance on most of the usual sites, so would appreciate advice from those in the know (and links to any simple websites). Many thanks - it's driving me mad as we near the end of the tax year!