Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Mortgage Interest deduction

Many Thanks for the clarification. So on my return I can enter £3665 into box 44 which shall reduce my tax bill by £733 (20%)? I have tried to call, however keep getting passed between Self Assessment and Property income departments without an answer.
  • RE: Mortgage Interest deduction

Many Thanks for the prompt response. We are married and the split is 50/50. Am I correct that I can enter the £3665 figure into box 44 for finance cost reduction? I haven't previously done this, can it be back dated and if so by how long?
  • Mortgage Interest deduction

We have a property that's rented out in joint names. From this I don't believe we have to self assess as our Net profit is less than £2500 per year. Is this correct? It can be collected from PAYE by us updating yearly the figures via HMRC? We deduct our expenses and don't claim the £1k property allowance. We currently don't deduct any kind of relief for our repayment mortgage interest. Can we? If so our example figures are (Without being split 50/50): income £6780 allowable expenses £2850 (management, ground rent, service charge) profit £3930 tax @ 20% £786 Tax reduction for finance cost (3665*20%) = £733 To pay £53 Is that correct? If my wife were to become a higher rate tax payer I presume we'd split incoming and outgoing 50/50 before we work out the tax individually?