Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 04 Sep 2024 12:14:21 GMT by nige106
We have a property that's rented out in joint names. From this I don't believe we have to self assess as our Net profit is less than £2500 per year. Is this correct? It can be collected from PAYE by us updating yearly the figures via HMRC? We deduct our expenses and don't claim the £1k property allowance. We currently don't deduct any kind of relief for our repayment mortgage interest. Can we? If so our example figures are (Without being split 50/50): income £6780 allowable expenses £2850 (management, ground rent, service charge) profit £3930 tax @ 20% £786 Tax reduction for finance cost (3665*20%) = £733 To pay £53 Is that correct? If my wife were to become a higher rate tax payer I presume we'd split incoming and outgoing 50/50 before we work out the tax individually?
Posted Fri, 06 Sep 2024 07:48:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi nige106,
As your net profit from rental income is below £2,500 Self Assessment would not be required for rental income.
However, We would advise to consult the Self Assessment criteria tool as other reasons for completing a tax return may have been triggered.
We would also suggest consulting the attached guidance regarding beneficial ownership of property found in TSEM9160 as percentage split may differ from 50/50 so we would be unable to give a definitive answer to your follow up question:
TSEM9160 - Ownership and income tax: legal background: ownership - income follows property
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 06 Sep 2024 08:16:38 GMT by nige106
Many Thanks for the prompt response. We are married and the split is 50/50. Am I correct that I can enter the £3665 figure into box 44 for finance cost reduction? I haven't previously done this, can it be back dated and if so by how long?
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2024 07:25:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi ,

Thank you for your question. 

Box 44 is used for residential property finance costs, so the costs of getting a loan, or alternative finance to buy a residential property and
any interest on such a loan or alternative finance payments can be used to calculate a reduction in your Income Tax. 

The tax relief that landlords of residential properties get for finance costs has been restricted to the basic rate of Income Tax from 6 April 2020. 

If you haven’t previously claimed relief on finance costs, you  may be able to make a claim from 2020-21 onwards  .

Thank you .
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2024 08:03:42 GMT by nige106
Many Thanks for the clarification. So on my return I can enter £3665 into box 44 which shall reduce my tax bill by £733 (20%)? I have tried to call, however keep getting passed between Self Assessment and Property income departments without an answer.
Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2024 11:24:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
As the property income is split between you and your wife you enter 50% of the mortgage interest payments in box 44 on the SA105.  
You can make alterations to your tax returns for the last four tax years to the 2020-21 year.  
The guidance is here: If you’ve missed the deadline to change your return
The reduction is the basic rate value (currently 20%) of the lower of either your finance costs (interest on mortgage payments) or your property business profits - the profits of the property business in the tax year (after using any brought forward losses) or finally your adjusted total income - the income (after losses and reliefs and excluding savings and dividends income) that exceeds your personal allowance.  
There is a some really useful guide here: Tax relief for residential landlords: how it's worked out
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.