Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Online filing - first year of trading - using CATO ("Company accounts and tax online" )

Hi I am working through submitting my first year's accounts as a UK ltd company (micro entity). Business incorporated 10/10/22 and as I understand it I need to file with HMRC both P&L and Balance Sheet and with Companies House just the Balance Sheet. I further understand that the HMRC submission has to be made in two parts 1) 10/10/22 -> 9/10/22 2) 10/10/23 -> 31/10/23 I've been led through the process online but so far it appears only to be for the first period - which seems logical - however I seem to have reached a point at which it's about to be submitted - but I feel uncomfortable that it hasn't prompted me for the data for the 2nd period and am concerned that will submit this and find that I have made a mistake somewhere. I have searched online for any practical guidance to using this service but have drawn a blank (beyond the UK Gov pages). Also at the top of the page it says: Filing For: XXXXX LIMITED | UTR: XXXXXXX Accounting period: 10 October 2022 to 9 October 2023 and yet when I preview the generated Accounts document it is titled XXXXXX LIMITED Company Information for the Period Ended 31 October 2023 - which clearly is not aligned to the Accounting Period at the top of the page. Hopefully this makes sense and you'll realise why I am nervous about submitting this! What are the options post-submitting to "unsubmit", edit & resubmit? thanks! J
  • RE: SA100 - BOX 6 - "Trusts etc"

WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
  • SA100 - BOX 6 - "Trusts etc"

Hi I am completing the self-assessment process online and when I review the completed SA100 I see that box 6 "Trusts etc" doesn't have either Yes or the No checkboxes ticked - I can find no way in the questionnaire that I can access information relating to Trusts and therefore box 6 has to remain unanswered - will this be OK? If not can you tell me what I would need to do to be able to ensure this section gets a valid answer (which is "No")? many thanks 
  • CGT Liabilities incurred via a GIA

Hi I'm completing my self assessment return. I have a GIA via my financial advisers. At the end of the year they supplied a "tax certificate" which shows uk & foreign interest & dividends - I'm clear about where this needs to be reported. But the document of which the "tax certificate" is part then goes on to show a schedule of acquisitions and disposals (I assume this is all the buying and selling that has occurred within that period). The net position for last year is a loss. On the "tailoring your tax return" the first question relating to CGT is: - "If you disposed of any chargeable assets, or had any chargeable gains, or you wish to claim an allowable loss, or make any other claim or election, do you need to complete the Capital Gains section? Please check help before selecting" I assume I do need to complete then the CGT section as my GIA made a loss - is that correct? Or is a chargeable asset only related to physical items? Then within the CGT section one of the questions on the form is: - "Did you dispose of chargeable assets worth more than £49,200?" Are the individual "disposals" in the report something that I need to report upon (as they total far more than 49,200) and number around 90 in total. Thanks for your help J