Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Rental income

WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
  • Self Assessment - bank interest

WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
  • CTG section on Self Assessment forms

• CGT - 2015 rebase Q

Hi Could you help pls, I have 3 questions that I am struggling with. I am a non resident British passport holder and moved to the UAE in 2021 for employment. I am selling a property that I have owed for 22 years (purchased 2001), a family home for 13 years which I lived in and then subsequently rented for 9 years (for the 9 years, this was not our main residence). I've had the property professionally revalued as of April 2015 to use the rebasing method to calculate CGT owed. Q1 - can I use this method of calculation if I was still a UK resident in 2015 (I only became a non resident in 2021)? Q2 - there is a question regarding my UK personal allowance (and UK income) and whilst I am not employed in the UK, I have rental income from this property and I therefore submit a self assessment tax return. Do I assume GBR 12,570 personal allowance to this question? Q3 - when I calculate through on the HMRC website, rebasing is the lowest amount to pay (v straight line and the gain over the full ownership period). I wanted to double check I can selected the lowest amount, in this case the rebasing calculation? Many thanks in advance!!