Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Split year treatment

Dear admin, Good morning. I’m a BN(O) visa holder and first arrived the uk in May 2024. I understand that I am a Uk tax resident in 2023-24. My question is if i had a very little income (around £3000) received in HK between 6 Apr 2023 to 30 Apr 2023. Can I not apply for split year treatment and declare the above mentioned £3000 in SA109 even if I was not a uk tax resident at that point? Thank you
  • RE: When to submit the self assessment?

Thank you. I’ve used the checker and found that there is a question number 6 as below. 6. Do you need to pay tax on any of the following? -Income from a trust -Income from outside the UK -£2,500 or more in commission or cash in hand payments -A payment or charge on a private pension -A Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) grant -None of these In my case, I came to the UK for the first time in May23. I paid income tax for my HK payroll income of the period from 1 April 2023 to 30 April 2023 in HK and my employment was ended at the same time, which is before I arrived the UK. I’m not sure whether I should select “Income from outside the Uk” or “None of these” for the above question. Could you please advise? Many thanks!
  • RE: When to submit the self assessment?

Thank you. I’ve used the checker and found that there is a question number 6 as below. 6. Do you need to pay tax on any of the following? -Income from a trust -Income from outside the UK -£2,500 or more in commission or cash in hand payments -A payment or charge on a private pension -A Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) grant -None of these In my case, I came to the UK for the first time in May23. I paid income tax for my HK payroll income of the period from 1 April 2023 to 30 April 2023 in HK and my employment was ended at the same time, which is before I arrived the UK. I’m not sure whether I should select “Income from outside the Uk” or “None of these” for the above question. Could you please advise? Many thanks!
  • When to submit the self assessment?

Hi, I've moved into UK in May of this year. When will I need to submit the self assessment for reporting some interests earning and dividend from overseas? Thanks.