Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 30 Aug 2023 13:42:28 GMT by QueenQueen
Hi, I've moved into UK in May of this year. When will I need to submit the self assessment for reporting some interests earning and dividend from overseas? Thanks.
Posted Mon, 04 Sep 2023 15:44:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

You can use the Self Assessment criteria checker here.

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 04 Sep 2023 16:59:16 GMT by QueenQueen
Thank you. I’ve used the checker and found that there is a question number 6 as below. 6. Do you need to pay tax on any of the following? -Income from a trust -Income from outside the UK -£2,500 or more in commission or cash in hand payments -A payment or charge on a private pension -A Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) grant -None of these In my case, I came to the UK for the first time in May23. I paid income tax for my HK payroll income of the period from 1 April 2023 to 30 April 2023 in HK and my employment was ended at the same time, which is before I arrived the UK. I’m not sure whether I should select “Income from outside the Uk” or “None of these” for the above question. Could you please advise? Many thanks!
Posted Mon, 04 Sep 2023 16:59:56 GMT by QueenQueen
Thank you. I’ve used the checker and found that there is a question number 6 as below. 6. Do you need to pay tax on any of the following? -Income from a trust -Income from outside the UK -£2,500 or more in commission or cash in hand payments -A payment or charge on a private pension -A Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) grant -None of these In my case, I came to the UK for the first time in May23. I paid income tax for my HK payroll income of the period from 1 April 2023 to 30 April 2023 in HK and my employment was ended at the same time, which is before I arrived the UK. I’m not sure whether I should select “Income from outside the Uk” or “None of these” for the above question. Could you please advise? Many thanks!
Posted Thu, 07 Sep 2023 10:31:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi QueenQueen,

As you don't need to declare the income from Hong Kong as that is wholly taxable in Hong Kong, you would select none.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.