Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Unable to register for self employed sole trader. Filled in CWF1 form says it is wrong

Hi I have a massive problem for the past year i have been trying to register as self employed sole trader both online, over the phone and by post. Every time i keep getting a rejection response saying i have filled in the wrong form. I filled in the CWF1 form it even says on the HMRC website to fill in that form not the SA1 form but every time i get rejected saying i filled in the wrong form and need to fill in the SA1 form!! It clearly says do NOT fill in the SA1 form if self employed. Every time i speak to someone on the phone about this they have no idea what i am talking about nor seem to understand the problem at hand. Even the rejection letter by post clearly says i am trying to register for self employed sole trader so why is it telling me i filled in the wrong form and need to fill in the SA1 form?? I know the online process is done by AI or something to auto approve but surely some human needs to be able to bypass this issue for me. Who should i ask when I call the self assessment line to escalate my issue so someone in charge can actually fix the problem so i can finally get my UTR code? Why on earth am i receiving a rejection letter saying i filled in the wrong form when it clearly says on the HMRC site that i have to fill in a CWF1 form!!! I cant find anyone else with this issue on the forum except me so what am i supposed to do to fix this?