Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Qualifying Interest Income

    Hi: If a UK investment trust declares a distribution of say 1.2p per ordinary share, where they declare 0.9p ps as dividend income with 0.3p ps treated as “qualifying interest income” in my self-assessment tax return do I declare having received (on a per share basis) (a) 1.2p dividend (in SA100 TR3 Box 5 Other Dividends) or (b) 0.9p dividend (in SA100 TR3 Box 5 Other Dividends) and 0.3p interest (in SA100 TR3 Box 2 Untaxed UK Interest)? Thank you. Regards 
  • RE: Demergers

    Hi, thank you for your explanation. Could you kindly clarify the sentence "You will then over shares in the original company and the subsidiary. " please? My apologies if I'm being a bit slow but I don't understand what you mean by "over". Thank you. Regards Edward
  • RE: Demergers

    Thank you. In HS285 section #3 it states that in shares reorganisations for CGT purposes the issues of any share is not treated as an acquisition, therefore, the "acquisition date" for the new shares remains the same as the original date in which I purchased my shares before the reorganisation. But in the case where the reorganisation is a demerger or spin-off and I receive shares in two different companies (one new - the spinoff), for the new spin-off company what is the "acquisition date" ? Is it the original date when I made my initial investment in the old company or is it the day I acquire the spin-off shares? I am currently using the original date as the acquisition date for both. Thank you. Regards, Edward
  • Demergers

    Hi, Does receiving stocks (no cash except for very small amounts in lieu of a fractional share) in demergers trigger a reportable capital gains/loss amount (using apportioned cost base vs stock market price on first day of trading of the new shares) irrespective of whether I sell the new shares on the first day of trading or not? I think I should declare any capital gain or loss only once I have actually sold the new shares, with gains or losses calculated using apportioned costs when the demerger took place (assuming there have not been any further capital corporate actions) - please confirm. With regards to cash received in lieu of such fractional share should I just use the amount to reduce the cost basis of the relevant stock(s) to apply only once I have sold the shares? Such cash amounts are small, typically much less than £10. Thank you. Kind regards Edward
  • RE: Franked vs Unfranked dividend distribution

    Hi, Thank you for your reply. Having read that page, it seems that the "franked" part of the dividend I should include it in the Other UK dividends (i.e. Box 5 Page TR3 SA100 2023) figure. While the "unfranked" part of the dividend should be treated as a payment received after 20% basic rate of income tax, if this is the case - please confirm - then I am unsure as to where in self assessment forms I should include this unfranked distribution: SA100 TR3 allows for Taxed UK interest (Box 1) and Other dividends (Box 5) in Box 5 I'll include the franked portion, should I include the unfranked portion in Box 1 even though I received a dividend not interest? The other area I can think of is SA101 Additional Information Other UK income Boxes 1 to 3 where Box 3 Gross amount before tax would be the unfranked portion of the dividend grossed up as per a 20% basic rate tax, but reading the notes for this section unit trusts & OEICs are not mentioned. Kindly tell me where in the self assessment forms I should include the unfranked portion of the dividend. Thank you. Regards, Edward
  • Franked vs Unfranked dividend distribution

    Hello, I received on 28Feb23 a dividend payment of about £95 from an authorised UK open ended fund. The UK online retail platform provider listed such payment in the " Authorised Unit Trust (AUT) & Open Ended Investment Companies (OEICS) Dividend (GBP)" section of their Consolidation Tax Certificate (“CTC”) for 2022/23. The certificate also specifies that the dividend is 48.7% Franked and 51.3% Unfranked. I am not familiar with this terminology, I have not seen it reported before for the previous dividends in 2022. I normally report this income in Box 5 SA100 Other UK Dividends as also indicated by the platform provider in their CTC. Should I still report this dividend this way or do I need to report the franked portion in one area and the unfranked portion in another area? If so, kindly let me know where, in which boxes of the Self Assessment form. Could you also indicate or provide a link to the section where HMRC covers this Franked & Unfranked terminology and how to treat it please? Thank you. Kind regards,