Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2024 17:06:47 GMT by Edward
Hi, By chance I sold shares in an ETF on the exact same day as the Reporting Period End date. Should I include or exclude the Excess Reportable Income for this ETF in my SA tax return? Does the ERI count as received/distributed in a such a situation? Thank you. Regards
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2024 09:52:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Edward,
Please refer to:
HS265 Offshore funds
Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2024 08:27:01 GMT by Edward
Hi Thank you for the document. It does not seem to clarify my query as it states "Reportable income is given as an amount per unit, so for each reporting period you will need to multiply the amount of reportable income per unit by the total amount of units you hold at the end of the reporting period." Is the date on which the reporting period ends equivalent to an "ex-dividend date" in determining whether the ERI interest or dividend is deemed as received? I sold an ETF on 31 July 2023 and the ETF's ERI end of the reporting period was also 31 July 2023: should I consider the ERI as received or not? Since at the end of the day on 31 July 2023 I no longer own the ETF shares it seems to me the ERI should not be considered as if I received it. Kind regards
Posted Wed, 01 May 2024 07:21:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Edward

If you received income from it on the same day you sold it, then yes.

Thanks

You must be signed in to post in this forum.