Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Self assessment repayment delays

I am owed over £10K after a pension drawdown was over taxed in January. It has been an absolute nightmare. I submitted a P55 to reclaim the tax on 23 Jan 2024, I was sent a calculation confirming the over payment on 13 Feb 2024, it told me the payment would be made to my bank. The repayment has been showing pending ever since on my personal tax portal. It has been virtually impossible to get through to anyone at HMRC. I have been on hold on average 45 minutes each time I called (on at least 10 occasions), I once held for 1h 44m. I've been cut off numerous times whilst holding. I've been cut off when speaking to an agent. Ive been cut off from online help, cut off due to technical issues. I'm often told on chat that advisors are not available. When I have managed to speak to an advisor, none have been able to tell me why there is a delay in my payment, they can only say security checks are pending and that the case is with the payment department .... but one can't speak to them. One agent put the phone down on me. Agents do not seem to have the authority to actually help customers and resolve issues. I raised a formal complaint over three weeks ago but have had no response. The service is not fit for purpose. I rely on my personal pension to live and I drew additional pension to invest in the 22/23 tax year. I have missed that opportunity and it has cost me a considerable sum and is incredibly worrying and frustrating. Delays of three months for a simple refund are unacceptable. I can't see why security checks should take more than a couple of days. My address hasn't changed for 23 years, my bank hasn't changed for almost 50 years, I have been doing online self assessment for many years. What is so difficult about issuing the refund? Please don't reply with 'Contact HMRC Self Assessment' general enquiries, that just starts the whole frustrating process all over again. I would suggest others formally complain at the earliest opportunity when payments are delayed and that they write to their MP. The government needs to get a grip of HMRC.