Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Foreign Interest income

Hi HMRC, I have registered the gateway account and received the UTR, filed the self assessment for tax year 2022-2023, however I found that I couldn’t find the option for me to file the self assessment for the previous tax year 2021-2022 as explained above, could you please advise is there any chance I can file it online or I have to send a hard copy form and where can I download the form?
  • Foreign Interest income

Hi HMRC, I am writing to enquire about the foreign income under the self assessment tax return. My wife and I are UK residents since July 2021 and our only incomes during the tax year 2021-22 were tiny amounts of interests generated in our bank accounts in Hong Kong. The actual amounts of the interests were around 8 pounds and 0.2 pounds per my wife and I respectively. At that time I made use of the *Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return* on the HMRC website and did not realise the interests from Hong Kong account was classified as *Income from outside the UK*. Due to the misunderstanding of the wordings of the item, we didn’t file self assessments for tax year 2021-2022. However, we did file the self assessments for the year after. Could you please advise should my wife and I file the self assessments for tax year 2021-22 at this point and if so could you please advise can we do it online or which form we have to fill in ? Thank you for your help in advance. Fu