Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2024 09:38:22 GMT by fcfu305
Hi HMRC, I am writing to enquire about the foreign income under the self assessment tax return. My wife and I are UK residents since July 2021 and our only incomes during the tax year 2021-22 were tiny amounts of interests generated in our bank accounts in Hong Kong. The actual amounts of the interests were around 8 pounds and 0.2 pounds per my wife and I respectively. At that time I made use of the *Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return* on the HMRC website and did not realise the interests from Hong Kong account was classified as *Income from outside the UK*. Due to the misunderstanding of the wordings of the item, we didn’t file self assessments for tax year 2021-2022. However, we did file the self assessments for the year after. Could you please advise should my wife and I file the self assessments for tax year 2021-22 at this point and if so could you please advise can we do it online or which form we have to fill in ? Thank you for your help in advance. Fu
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2024 15:51:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi fcfu305,
If you qualify for split year then you only report any foreign income for the UK part of the year:
RDRM12000 - Residence: The SRT: Split year treatment: Contents.
If you do not qualify then you will need to report all your foreign income to the UK
Tax on foreign income
The guidance at RDRM12150 at www.gov.uk will help you work out if split year treatment applies. 
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.