Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: Register for self assessment

    Hi Dear HMRC Admin I posted the" Registering for Self Assessment and getting a tax return" to request UTR for my first self assessment tax return for 2023-2024 tax year, I have received a reply letter with my UTR from HMRC, I am also requested to complete self assessment tax returns for 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 tax years on line. However, I don't find my UTR appeared in my personal tax account on line as well as in mobile app on my phone yet. My questions are: 1. Do I need wait for my UTR to be appeared in my tax account before I can submit my tax returns (past and current tax years) on line? 2. How can I submit my self assessment returns on line for 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 tax years, or I just print out the forms to fill in and post in one go to HMRC along with 2023-2024 tax return ? 3. Alternatively, Is it right to do the above separately? So that for 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 by post, for 2023-2024 on line. 4. If I need to request Split year treatment on 2021-2022 tax year, which form should I need to fill in and which ways I need to used ( by post / on line ) to submit to HMRC Thank you for you help
  • RE: Split year treatment

    Hi Dear Admin Before I entered UK, I had been retired for many years in Hong Kong and I did not have pension income, all my income was bank interest which was the sole income source both before and after I became a UK tax resident in the Mid- September 2021. I want to restate my concerns which has been posted 6 days ago in hope of getting your kind response : 1. I am waiting for UTR to fill in self-Assessment tax return for 2023-2024 tax year and I will apply for split year treatment for 2021- 2022 tax year, could I do that all in one go in my tax return for 23-24 tax year? Could I do it on-line or I need to do it by post separately ? 2. I have checked with the HMRC on-line tools for 2021-2022 and20 22-2023 tax years and I needed not to submit tax return to HMRC, do I need to up-date HMRC about 2021-2022 and2022-2023 tax years of my tax position along with the tax return for 2023-2024? And what will be the form I needed to fill in to capture those up-date? if I am asked to do so. Thanks
  • RE: Split year treatment

    Hi HMRC Admin8 Thank you for your advice, I am waiting for the URT number used in the registration of Self Assessment for 2023/2024 tax return, further to your advice, I didn't have any foreign pension income ( because I had retired in Hong Kong for many years ) before I entered UK in the end of Aug 2021 and all my recent income is come from bank interest. I am also very aware of my obligation as a taxable resident since settling in the UK from end of Aug 2021 up to the recent. I had checked with the HMRC on-line tool if I need to send a Self Assessment tax return for 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 tax years, the answers confirmed with me that I didn't need to send tax return to HMRC and I didn't need to confirm to HMRC about this. My further follow-up questions are : 1. Do I need to up-date HMRC about 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 tax years of my taxable position along with tax return for 2023-2024? if it is necessary, what forms should I need to fill in for this purpose? 2. I understand that I can send the self assessment tax return (SA100) on line for 2023-2024 tax year, but to claim for split year treatment by using form (SA 109 ) for 2021-2022 where I was not a taxable resident for the whole tax year, Could it be possible for me to post SA109 separately to HMRC ? If it is not allowed to do so, then, I need to post both SA100 form and SA109 together in one go to HMRC. Am I right ? 3. Along with the tax return for 2023-2024, part of interest income from the bank in Hong Kong is in Hong Kong currency, what will be the official and acceptable exchange rate to convert HK currency to GPB for this purpose? It would be my first time using self assessment tax return to file my taxable position to HMRC, I need to be very careful and cautious about every step to sustain my obligation as an taxable resident in UK, hoping you could guide me through to complete the process. Thank you 

    Name removed admin . 
  • RE: Split year treatment

    Hi I am just quite confused about if I need to apply for the split year treatment or not for tax year 2021-2022. It also recently, the first time for me to heard about the split time treatment, I hope if you could help me to unravel my concerns and confusion. 1. I entered UK from Hong Kong in the end of Aug 2021, and I rented an apartment to live in mid-Sept 2021, did I become a UK resident on the date I rented the apartment? 2. Before I arrived at UK, I have sold my property in Hong Kong. The money has been transferred to UK bank before my arrival. The interest income for tax year 2021-2022 from Sept 2021- March 2022 was GBP32. 3. I was retired and had no income from working in UK. 4.I had used HMRC on-line tool for checking if I needed to send a self-assessment tax return for tax year 2021-2022 and 2022-2023, the answers confirmed that I needed not to do so for these two tax years.