Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Contributing to both UK and France state pensions

WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
  • Refused ToR extension to complete my move

Hello, I move to the UK in July 2018 from Singapore and applied for a ToR then. Some of my items remained in France (I am French) since I didn't know at the time if I would stay in the UK (work related reasons). Then Covid hits. I now wanted to bring the rest of my furniture to the UK where I reside but my ToR extension was rejected considering that I only had 12 months to complete my move. This obviously leaves me in a challenging situation where my belongings which I purchased and already paid VAT on at the time of purchase are now stuck in France unless I pay the import duty on these goods. I am puzzled by this situation. Is there a way to move these pieces of furniture as part of the transfer of residence (they used to belong to my grand father so they have a sentimental value). Thank you for your insight.
  • RE: No State Pension years recorded while working full time

I read online that HMRC may take more than 12 months to reply to these cases, is it really the case? I am very concerned that my retirement contributions for the past 6 years were not taken into account and seeking reinsurance. Does anyone know how much time it would take to get a reply from HMRC on this topic? Thank you
  • How to declare savings interests in foreign currency

I have a Trading 212 account where I have uninvested cash giving me interests (in euros). How should I declare this amount in my self assessment? Should I convert it to GBP and add the amount to my UK saving interests? If yes, how do I know which exchange rate I should apply? If no, how should I proceed? Thank you for your help.
  • No State Pension years recorded while working full time

Hello, I am a French citizen and moved to the UK in July 2018 and have been fully employed since by the same company. When checking my State Pension on the HMRC portal, I was shocked to see that my record displays gaps whereas National Insurance was paid via my employment (The HMRC pages says "You do not have any years on your record..."). I sent a letter with all my P60 and payslips from July 2018 early July this year but haven't received a reply yet. What is the expected answer time for this kind of request? This is obviously very worrying to see that no contribution was taken into account after all these years and would really appreciate some visibility on this stressfull matter. Thank you for your help.