Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Coming to the UK - Dual National with no prior UK residence

Hello, I am writing to ask about my tax position based on my personal circumstances. I am a UK & Greek dual national and have been ordinarily resident in Greece all my life. I will be moving to the UK in September full-time to continue my undergraduate studies. I will receive full student loan support as I am considered a UK student by virtue of the transitionary arrangements after Brexit that the government has in place for UK nationals living in the EU. I intend to remain in the UK indefinitely after I finish studying. I expect to be present in the UK for more than 183 per tax year. As a Greek national having resided in Greece I retain Greek tax residence(Greece uses a quasi-domicile definition for tax residence) until I can prove that I have moved my permanent residence overseas. I have the majority of my savings in UK bank accounts accruing interest. My questions are: 1) Would interest accrued in the tax year when I start being a tax resident in the UK be subject to a DTA so that I can reclaim the tax that Greece charges? 2) How do I notify HMRC that I have moved to the UK on a permanent basis? Do I have to apply for self-assessment? (I will not exceed the required self-assessment thresholds this tax year)(I have a NiNO and access to my personal tax account) 3) Since I am a student and will probably not earn any taxable income will I be able to request a confirmation of tax residence for the tax year I arrive in the UK to send to the Greek tax authorities to prove that I have become a UK tax resident? Thanks in advance.
  • National insurance number error in application

Hello, I applied for a national insurance number as I was instructed by SfE due to my application for a student loan for a course that will start in September. I applied using a relative's address in Jersey whom I visited in September. Since the end of September and until the beginning of my course I will be ordinarily resident in an EU country. After having applied I noticed that the website says that you should only apply for a national insurance number if you are in the UK. As I was told on the phone that my application was approved and a national insurance number has been issued, how can I go about clarifying to HMRC that since September I have not been residing in Jersey(There was nowhere on the form that you were able to explain this). Thanks in advance