Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Can't create personal tax account

I am trying to create a Personal Tax Account and am never able to confirm my identity. I used the GOV ID app in the past to apply for settlement status, without any problems, however, it keeps saying it cannot confirm my identity when trying to create a Personal Tax Account. The alternative option of providing 2 documents, is simply discriminating against everyone who has a non-UK passport. I am given 3 options out of which I have to choose 2. The 3 options are: UK passport, UK driving license, credit history. I have a European passport and driving license, so I cannot choose 2 options. On your website it says I can provide recent payslips, international passport, P45, P60, etc, however, when trying to add my information manually to the account, those options are in fact never available, and the only 3 options I can choose from are: UK passport, UK driving license, credit history. I have contacted the Digital Support Team multiple times and I am either rudely brushed off with the explanation that this issue is not a technical issue, or I only receive a generic answer that is completely unhelpful and frankly ignorant and disrespectful. In my desperation, I called multiple other HMRC departments and they all confirmed independently that the information they hold from me is identical to the one on my passport, and that this is indeed a technical issue and I must contact the Digital Support Team. However, they refuse to help. Please let me know, how I can confirm my identity to open a Personal Tax Account. And please do not tell me that my only option is to contact the Digital Support Team as they have proven incredibly unhelpful. Thank you in advance.