Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Mailing tax return to HMRC

Hi, I have submitted my tax return by mail to HMRC in early June 2024 and would like to know how long it will take for the information to be reflected on gateway. I am slightly worried as I am unsure if HMRC has received my return. Please advise. Thank you.
  • RE: State pension record

Thank you for the prompt reply. I have taken a look at my P60 and found that no NI contribution has been made as I have not earned enough in this job. However, I also have another side job which I have detailed in the Self-assessment Form. Will the earnings be combined and counted?
  • State pension record

My partner and I both moved to the UK in May 2023. Recently when we looked at the state pension summary on Gateway, my partner’s account showed a full year’s record but mine said “You do not have any years on your record and you need at least 10 years to get any State Pension”. I would like to inquire why there is such a discrepancy and if there is any way that I can get a year’s record. Many thanks in advance.
  • RE: Loss generated from foreign rental income

Thank you for the prompt reply. I would like to confirm if mortgage interest can be deducted when submitting the tax return in the UK. If not, does it mean I have to re-calculate the gain / loss regarding the foreign rental income?
  • Loss generated from foreign rental income

Hi, I have a jointly owned property in Malaysia and it is reported a loss (after deducting mortgage interest and other allowable expenses) when submitting the tax return in Malaysia and no tax is paid there. I would therefore like to know if I need to report my loss in foreign rental income in Self Assessment or it is actually a positive income when mortgage interest is not deductible in the UK. Please advise. Thank you.