Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 06 Jun 2024 13:39:51 GMT by KM Chung
My partner and I both moved to the UK in May 2023. Recently when we looked at the state pension summary on Gateway, my partner’s account showed a full year’s record but mine said “You do not have any years on your record and you need at least 10 years to get any State Pension”. I would like to inquire why there is such a discrepancy and if there is any way that I can get a year’s record. Many thanks in advance.
Posted Fri, 07 Jun 2024 07:23:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi 
If you have been employed in the UK then National Insurance contributions should have been deducted from your salary.  
If you could send us a copy of your P60 or final payslip for the 2023-2024 tax year (along with a covering letter) then we will be able to trace for any missing
contributions and put them onto your National Insurance account.  Please quote your National Insurance Number in your letter.
Our postal address is:-
HM Revenue & Customs
PT Operations North East England
BX9 1AN
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 07 Jun 2024 07:55:52 GMT by KM Chung
Thank you for the prompt reply. I have taken a look at my P60 and found that no NI contribution has been made as I have not earned enough in this job. However, I also have another side job which I have detailed in the Self-assessment Form. Will the earnings be combined and counted?
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2024 12:21:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

If your side job is self employment, you will need to register as self employed by following this link.

Register as a sole trader

If this is another ‘employed’ job, then presumably, again, you have not earned enough to pay NICs.  

If this is the case, you can consider paying NICs voluntarily at the Class 3 rate.

Pay voluntary Class 3 National Insurance

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.