Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: Paid Voluntary NI contributions - How long is updating of the online NI records taking?

    Hi, I am living abroad and have already reached my state pension age, however I have not yet claimed my UK state pension. I have checked my NI contributions and have gaps. I have also determined that I am eligible to pay voluntary class 3 contributions and have determined how much to pay, i.e. each year that is not full explains that I can make up the shortfall for that specific year by paying a voluntary contribution of £££s and by a certain date. I have added all up the shortfalls, for the relevant years I wish to pay voluntary contributions, to determine how much to pay. I intend to make an overseas payment via an online bank transfer from a UK account. Referring to for an Overseas Payment can you confirm that I can use the following for my reference number when making an online bank transfer. Use your National Insurance number followed by ‘IC’, your surname then your initial. If your bank limits you to a certain amount of characters, you should use your National Insurance number followed by ‘IC’ and as much of your surname as possible. Many thanks.