Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 05 May 2022 12:31:34 GMT by Timeout
I paid 4 years voluntary NI contributions on 2nd March 2022 by bank transfer to improve my Pension Forecast. The gaps in my NI record have not been updated yet. How long should I wait before calling to see what is happening?
Posted Fri, 06 May 2022 07:43:54 GMT by ouDAN
I also paid voluntary contributions earlier this year, in my case in February. There were 2 items in the progress tracker regarding those payments. Both have disappeared. There are still gaps in my record. I'm also curious how long to wait. I've seen comments elsewhere that it can take 30 weeks before the contributions are applied. Is that still the case?
Posted Wed, 11 May 2022 11:54:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Timeout
The current turnaround for payments needing a manual allocation is 39 weeks.

Customer can call the NI helpline if they wish to get confirmation of receipt and the advisor they speak to should be able to allocate the payment during the call.
Thankyou.
Regards.

Posted Wed, 11 May 2022 12:49:26 GMT by Timeout
Thank you for the information the reply is much appreciated.
Posted Wed, 11 May 2022 13:36:06 GMT by Timeout
UPDATE - Just called the HMRC as advised by NI Helpline and payment has been received. It was only a 20 minute wait which is shorter than it takes to get through to my GP. It will be allocated to my Pension account today I am told,
Posted Mon, 16 May 2022 15:32:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi ouDAN,

Voluntary contributions should be posted within the normal six weeks timescale noted in the guidance.

We are not aware of any delays so would suggest you contact the National Insurance team to check your payments.

National Insurance: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 31 May 2022 12:13:34 GMT by ouDAN
Payments were allocated to my pension record a few days ago, so within 3 months or so. Not within 6 weeks, but a lot quicker than the 39 weeks mentioned above.
Posted Mon, 27 Jun 2022 08:54:30 GMT by Rozanne G
I paid three years voluntary NI contributions on 27th Jan 2022, it took 21 weeks for it to be updated on my records. So as discussed more than six weeks that is quoted by HMRC admin. In my experience phone calls are taking 40 minutes to be answered but couldn't be more helpful when you do get through.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.