Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: CGT on house sale - how to report as executor

Can anyone at HMRC admin help with this please? I can provide further information if required. Thank you in advance.
  • CGT on house sale - how to report as executor

I am executor for both my parents. They held their house as tenants in common. My father died in 2022. I reported the probate value of the property as £270k which was 50% of the valuation of £540K at the time of death. His half of the house was held in trust with myself as trustee and my mother remained living there until she died in 2023. For my mother I reported the probate value at £275K which was 50% of the valuation of £550K. I am about to sell the house but the price achieved is £570K. I'm aware I need to pay CGT on the difference. Do I - 1. Pay CGT on the whole property for the difference at the time of my father's death, i.e. £30K. 2. Pay CGT on the whole property for the difference at the time of my mother's death, i.e. £20k 3. Split the return - for my father the difference would be between £285K (half the actual sale price) and £270K i.e. £15K for my mother the difference would be between £285 and £275 i.e. £10K. If its no 3, should I complete two separate returns? As I'm executor to two estates would there be two AEAs or would there be just one allowance? Or is there another way I should do it? I've asked an accountant and a solicitor and have been given different answers!