Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: P85 query

I think I just made a mistake with the P85 while waiting for an answer here. I put yes to the question about will you be working when you leave the uk. It only looks like its in the section about income from the UK when you print the form out. However having read and thought a bit more I think I should have said no. My employment is outside the UK and is for a Swiss company and I am non resident for the UK. Please help. Should I contact someone if I have made a mistake. I am not claiming a refund if that helps.
  • P85 query

Hello I have a query about how to answer 1 of the questions on the form which I will print out and send. I moved to Switzerland in February and started full time work there in May 2024. Before I moved I wasn't working for the whole of the tax year 2023-24 and had no income. The first section asks if you will be working full time outside the UK . The answer is yes Then there is a section that says Income from the UK after you leave. Question 1 - will you get any income from the UK after you leave? Answer No Then the question: will you be working when you leave the uk ? (still under a section called Income you get from the UK after you leave) Is this question asking am I working at the point of departure date from the UK (February) or just will I be working post the departure date? I have not been working previous to my departure or on the date I left but I am now working full time in Switzerland from May 2024 Thank you for any help and whether to answer yes or no to the question in the section income you get from the UK after you leave
  • P85 no tax refund required

I have a question about the need to fill out a P85 when no tax refund is required. Should this form be used just to claim a tax refund (which won't be owing) or do you still need to fill it in to inform HMRC of a permanent move abroad? There is no tax refund owing and no UK income.