Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2024 15:08:46 GMT by tsa65
Hello I have a query about how to answer 1 of the questions on the form which I will print out and send. I moved to Switzerland in February and started full time work there in May 2024. Before I moved I wasn't working for the whole of the tax year 2023-24 and had no income. The first section asks if you will be working full time outside the UK . The answer is yes Then there is a section that says Income from the UK after you leave. Question 1 - will you get any income from the UK after you leave? Answer No Then the question: will you be working when you leave the uk ? (still under a section called Income you get from the UK after you leave) Is this question asking am I working at the point of departure date from the UK (February) or just will I be working post the departure date? I have not been working previous to my departure or on the date I left but I am now working full time in Switzerland from May 2024 Thank you for any help and whether to answer yes or no to the question in the section income you get from the UK after you leave
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2024 21:22:45 GMT by tsa65
I think I just made a mistake with the P85 while waiting for an answer here. I put yes to the question about will you be working when you leave the uk. It only looks like its in the section about income from the UK when you print the form out. However having read and thought a bit more I think I should have said no. My employment is outside the UK and is for a Swiss company and I am non resident for the UK. Please help. Should I contact someone if I have made a mistake. I am not claiming a refund if that helps.
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 08:42:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
This question is asking whether you are working for a UK company at the point of your departure from the UK.
Based on your information, you can answer 'no' to this question.
Thankyou.
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2024 15:54:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
If you submitted your P85 online, just resubmit one using the correct details.
If you posted your P85 then you would need to resend the P85 in the post with a covering letter advising that your first one was incorrect.
Advisors when working post usually check to see if other post items have come in for customers, in which case (depending on the time difference between forms)
this may be realised before the first claim can be worked. 
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2024 01:04:57 GMT by Hazel Carr
Hi, I am in the process of completing a P85. My circumstances are that I worked in the UK last year, but for my last pay cheque, the company I worked for forgot to add on my overtime. The did, however, issue a P45. The outstanding amount was paid to me the following month (same tax year) with an emergency tax code, and no additional/replacement P45 was issued, despite my asking for it. In the section where I am asked about the earnings and tax paid as it appears on my P45, I can put in those numbers, but it doesn't reflect my total earnings/tax paid for that tax year. What do I do?
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2024 14:50:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi ,

A P45 cannot be amended or reissued.

Did they provide you with a final payslip for the outstanding amount?

You could request a letter from the employer confirming your total earnings which they should be able to provide you with.

You would need to put the full amount you earned, P45 amount plus the gross final payment you received, plus the total tax from the P45 and final payment.

You may wish to send a copy of your P45 along with the final payslip (if you received) and/or the letter confirming
your total earnings if you succeed in obtaining one.

Thank you .
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2024 03:59:17 GMT by AbamwaC0302
Hello, I am in the process of completing my P85, I worked two jobs while in the UK. I want to find out if i have to put the form 2 and 3 for both organisations or just one. Because there is no place for you to declare how many jobs you did in the P85 form, or do i have to fill two P85 forms? Thank you
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2024 07:26:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi AbamwaC0302,
On the P85 please show your most recent employment if asked on the form, but please supply the P45 parts 2&3 for both organisations.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.