Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• ISA nightmare

Hi, In March 2024 I added £2500 to my S & S ISA, thinking I could withdraw £2500 from my Cash ISA to keep within the ISA limit. I had forgotten my Cash ISA was FIXED and I could do nothing without a huge palaver. I immediately sold the £2500 shares and asked for monies to be transferred back to the Bank. The Broker/Investment Co. now want more things like a Bank statement before they do this. They have said in circumstances I could contact HMRC to have this transaction "voided", but did not provide direct contact for HMRC ISA Dept. . I have been dreaming about being prosecuted by the HMRC for fraud. 2023 was the first time I'd had any ISA' and I'll never make this mistake again . Can you help with a contact e-mail for ISA dept. please ? Kind regards
  • RE: PRIMARY RESIDENCE - Capital Gains Tax

Hi, I have now read the information and believe "CGT relief" would have been appropriate. May I ask/ confirm which form/forms the Power of Attorney would have needed to complete in order to claim CGT relief and to which HMRC Dept. they would have been sent to (person in the Care Home and the property both in Scotland) ? The Power of Attorney, became Personal Representative upon the person' death in 2020. I would have thought that this information (CGT relief application copies etc) would be in (or denoted in) the Grant of Confirmation (Probate in England), but it is not? For info. the property (surprisingly) had been beneath the Inheritance Tax threshold, according to the Registers of Scotland Deed "Disposition" when sold in 2017 and so no Tax was paid on the property in any respect? Is this quite common?
  • RE: PRIMARY RESIDENCE - Capital Gains Tax

Thank you, I shall study those details.
  • PRIMARY RESIDENCE - Capital Gains Tax

If a person' primary residence is a Care/Nursing Home and their house has been unoccupied (for a full year) since moving into Care/Nursing Home, does Capital Gains Tax require paid if sold. I have been given to understand that this has always been the case?