Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Bringing personal items to UK from EU

Thanks for your response. How does customs assess the value of the items I’ve described (old furniture and a painting without economic value)? I note the personal allowance of £390, however no receipts are available for goods of this age. Would a common view be that this has no value (ie below the personal allowance), or is the valuation of the goods without evidence of value at the discretion of the border officer? Thanks in advance.
  • Bringing personal items to UK from EU

Hi - I am an EU citizen living in England with settled status. My grandparents in the EU (Netherlands) are downsizing and I would like to bring some of their furniture to the UK by driving a van from the Netherlands to England (via the Calais-Dover ferry). These were all purchased 30+ years ago and are unlikely to have meaningful value on the open market. Additionally, I'd like to bring a painting painted by my grandfather which is unlikely to be of any value on the market. Do I have to declare these goods before entering the UK, and if yes, should I expect to pay any import duties?