Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2024 10:21:52 GMT by John Doe
Hi - I am an EU citizen living in England with settled status. My grandparents in the EU (Netherlands) are downsizing and I would like to bring some of their furniture to the UK by driving a van from the Netherlands to England (via the Calais-Dover ferry). These were all purchased 30+ years ago and are unlikely to have meaningful value on the open market. Additionally, I'd like to bring a painting painted by my grandfather which is unlikely to be of any value on the market. Do I have to declare these goods before entering the UK, and if yes, should I expect to pay any import duties?
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 10:13:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
The amount of goods you can bring is commonly known as your ‘personal allowance’.
Personal allowance rules apply to any goods you have bought overseas and are bringing in to the UK.
More information on below link: Bringing goods into the UK for personal use
If goods are re-imported and no relief is available then importer will have to pay custom charges as per trade tariff.
List of customs reliefs is available on below link:
Reference documents for The Customs (Reliefs from a Liability to Import Duty and Miscellaneous Amendments) (EU Exit) Regulations 2020
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 11:33:54 GMT by John Doe
Thanks for your response. How does customs assess the value of the items I’ve described (old furniture and a painting without economic value)? I note the personal allowance of £390, however no receipts are available for goods of this age. Would a common view be that this has no value (ie below the personal allowance), or is the valuation of the goods without evidence of value at the discretion of the border officer? Thanks in advance.
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 12:42:52 GMT by Customs oldtimer
The value for customs duty purposes is based on a market value of the goods. There is no such thing as a zero value for customs. Customs will not assses a value for you. If you don’t have original invoices you probably need to consider an insurance or secondhand value. Provided the value is reasonable and follow the principles in the below guidelines then it will generally be accepted. www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to-work-out-the-customs-value-of-your-imported-goods
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2024 13:40:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 13 Response
Hi John,
Please see guidance on how to work out the customs value for Customs Duty, import VAT and trade statistics if you’re an importer or clearing agent.
Working out the customs value of your imported goods
Thank you Customs oldtimer for also posting his link which is the next step in the process. 
Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.