Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.


    Hi, I am not the Original Poster but I can see that the relief is available in tax year in which the the shares have been issued, but i have a few questions. All of the questions below are with the context of using the platform Crowdcube. 1) 1.1) I have made EIS eligible investments during the 2023-2024 tax year, and intend to register for Self Assessment to claim them. Some of the investments have a statement confirming my beneficial ownership, but don't have EIS tax certificate issued yet. Can i still enter them in the 2023-2024 tax year self assessment that i intend to complete later this year? 1.2) For some investments the money left my hand in 2023-2024 tax year, but the shares have not been issue yet, and i anticipate that the shares will be issued in the 2024-2025 tax year. Would these need to be claimed in self assessment after the 2024-2025 tax year finishes if i intend to do self assessment? 2. I made some EIS investments in the 2022-2023 tax year, and because I am a PAYE employee, i sent the EIS3 claim forms to HMRC's address via post on August 2023. I have contacted them multiple times, and they they said that they would give me a reply soon, but they have been constantly delaying. I have had enough of chasing them, which is the reason why i intend to file for self assessment. My Question for this is that because i have already sent the EIS 3 claim forms, would it be possible to instead get the refund through self assessment somehow so that i can get the payment as soon as possible? Or do i just need to wait for the forms to be processed? Thank you.
  • RE: Switzerland Withholding Tax on Dividends and claiming tax credit refund as a PAYE Employee

    Just for my understanding, let me assume that i decide to file Self Assessment online: If i do not use form 86, i can claim the full 35% withheld via SA? However if do use the Swiss Form 86, I can only claim the remaining 15% via SA? Additionally, what category is the refund under if i decide to claim the full 35%? Would it be Foreign Tax Credit Relief? and how would this change if i used Form 86, would it still be under FTCR? And how would this change if i received more than the Dividend Allowance, i assume i would get less than the 35%/15% remaining balance withheld? Thank you in advance.
  • Switzerland Withholding Tax on Dividends and claiming tax credit refund as a PAYE Employee

    Hi, I am a basic rate tax payer and forecast to be paid less than the dividend tax free allowance. I have shares of a Swiss company which is listed on the Swiss Stock Exchange (SIX). I will be paid dividends, but there is a 35% Withholding Tax. Although I will not file for Self Assessment, i have looked at this HMRC manual which states that i can either: a. use the Swiss Tax deducted as a refundable Tax Credit against my UK Tax Liability or b. Treat the Swiss Tax as satisfying the total UK Liability I intend to claim a 20% refund using Form 86 from the Swiss Tax Authority website [ admin removed link]but how would i get relief for the remaining 15%? Would i still have to file SA to get the refund even though I'm a basic rate tax payer and will receive dividends less than the dividend tax free allowance? I do not think Option b would be applicable to me because i should have 0 tax liability for dividends in the UK. Additionally, If choose option a, would be possible to directly just claim 35% tax credit relief, or would i have to still get the 20% refund, and then claim 15% from HMRC. Assistance would be greatly appreciated.