Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 23 Sep 2023 18:39:22 GMT by Fra
Hello there, To include tax advantages coming from investing in EIS/SEIS/VCT vehicles, is the date of the investment that counts for a specific tax year or rather when you receive the certificate? I need to understand it to include the investment in this or next calendar year. Thanks!
Posted Mon, 02 Oct 2023 14:27:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

The general rule is that the relief is available for the tax year in which the shares are issued or, where you have invested in an approved knowledge intensive investment fund, the year in which the fund closed. But, if you choose, you can treat some or all of the shares as issued in the previous year and claim relief in that previous year, subject to the maximum limit for the year. You will find the date of issue of your shares recorded on form EIS3 and the date the approved fund closed on form EIS5. You can see guidance here: 

HS341 Enterprise Investment Scheme — Income Tax relief (2023)

Thank you.  

You must be signed in to post in this forum.