Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: Overseas Remote employee for a UK based employer

    Good afternoon, I trust this message finds you well. I am writing to seek guidance regarding the tax year 2022/2023. During this period, I was employed by a UK limited company and received 12 payslips, all of which were subjected to taxation at the source. On reviewing my payslips, I observed deductions for employee National Insurance (NI) and income tax (TAX), with a tax code of 1257L. It's pertinent to note that throughout the mentioned tax year, I did not qualify as a tax resident in the UK. Instead, I resided in Italy, where I fulfilled the criteria for tax residency. In light of this, I am keen to understand whether I am eligible to reclaim the taxes deducted by HMRC in the UK. Subsequently, I plan to declare my UK earnings in Italy, where I held tax residency during that period. If the possibility exists for a tax refund, I would appreciate your guidance on the procedural steps involved. My understanding is that I may need to initiate a non-residence self-assessment and submit a claim for the tax refund through the appropriate form. Your assistance in clarifying this matter and providing information on the necessary procedures would be immensely helpful. Best Regards,