Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: P85 for past years

Hi, I moved to Canada in March 2023. I submitted self-assessment for the tax year ending 5th April 2023. After that point, I was self-employed under contract to a UK-based company from April 2023 to April 2024 and now I'm due to be employed by the company on their payroll, so only now submitting my P85. Tax year 2023-2024: I have paid income tax as self-employed in Canada for their tax year ending in December 2023. So for tax year 2023 to 2024, should I submit a self-assessment tax return with my receipt of paid Canadian taxes along with other income, interest. Then claim back the income outside employment with the form found here: www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad/taxed-twice to then pay that in the Canadian tax year of 2024? Tax year 2024-2025 and beyond: My understanding now being on the payroll is that I should fill out P85 and receive the full income into my Canadian bank account and then file Canadian taxes. Is that correct? The P85 requires a P45, is this required if I was not a PAYE employee for last tax year? I can provide one for year 2022-2023. Thanks, Patrick