Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Gift tax for cash gift from overseas

Hello, My parents and I are UK national. My parents are living in Hong Kong and are not tax residents in UK. My parents is looking to send £300,000 from their bank account in Hong Kong to their personal UK bank account and then transfer the funds to me as a gift to help me buy a house in the UK. The source of funds comes from selling their flat in Hong Kong a few months ago. Do I need to declare this gift money in my tax return, show proof of source of the gift money and to pay tax on it? Would the money transferred from my parents bank in HK to their UK bank account for this purpose attract any UK tax? Is there a maximum amount on gift money of this kind that I can receive ? Is there there anything else we should be aware of in this scenario? Many thanks for your help. JF
  • RE: Gift tax for cash gift from overseas

Hello, My parents and I are UK national. My parents are living in Hong Kong and are not tax residents in UK. My parents is looking to send £300,000 from their bank account in Hong Kong to their personal UK bank account and then transfer the funds to me as a gift to help me buy a house in the UK. The source of funds comes from selling their flat in Hong Kong a few months ago. Do I need to declare this gift money in my tax return, show proof of source of the gift money and to pay tax on it? Would the money transferred from my parents bank in HK to their UK bank account for this purpose attract any UK tax? Is there a maximum amount on gift money of this kind that I can receive ? Is there there anything else we should be aware of in this scenario? Many thanks for your help. JF