Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Reporting savings interest

HRMC Admin 32 Thx for your reply. As I mentioned before, I am foreigner (i.e. non UK tax resident) therefore it is believed I don't need to declare foreign income. The issue is that I have saving interest, below GBP10K in a tax year, earned in my accounts with bank in UK. I was told by your colleague that no tax return required under this scenario. My question is any registration for self assessment required or not ?
  • RE: Reporting savings interest

Hi, I got the answer regarding to the fact that a foreigner (non UK tax resident) with saving interest earned from bank(s) in UK less than GBP10K in a tax year NO NEED to file tax return. Meanwhile I just saw one, seemingly a UK tax resident, needs to "register" for self assessment to report the foreign interest regardless of the amount received (mentioned by HMRC Admin 20 in a very recent post) THEREFORE I would like to clarify whether such requirement to register for self assessment is also applicable to foreigner (non UK tax resident) earning saving interest - less than GBP10K saving interest from bank(s) in UK in a tax year although there is no need to file a tax return anyway?