Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Relief for foreign tax paid

I have paid the 2022/23 HK property tax (around GBP 1600) in March 2024 and did not claim for the foreign tax credit relief on 2022/23 self assessment because the deadline to fill in tax return was Jan 2024. Can I accumulate it with 2023/24 HK property tax and claim it together in the self assessment 2023/24? Thanks.
  • Claim foreign tax credit relief

I have three questions: 1) I have already paid the 2022/23 self assessment tax bill but I just received the notice of payment for HK property tax for 2022/23, am I still able to claim the foreign tax credit relief and what will happend to the tax I have already paid? 2)If I am still able to claim the foreign tax credit relief, the notice for payment of HK property tax was issued on 31 Jan 2024 but the payment is due by 13 Mar 2024, please advice which month of the exchange rate I should use. 3) I also need to pay the HK provisional property tax for 2023/24 by above due date, can this amount be claimed as well in self assessment 2022/23? Thank you.
  • Rental income from HK

Me and my husband jointly own a property in HK, it is still under mortgage and we rent it out after we came to UK in 2022. we didn’t get any profit from the rental income as we use it to pay for the mortgage which the amount is higher then the rental income. Do both of us need to complete the self assessment?