Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Expat Thailand

Thank you
  • RE: Tax on a UK Government Pension (if you live abroad)

Hello I am a British national living in Thailand on my uk armed forces pension. There is a bit of hysteria here just now as the tax laws have been updated from 1 Jan 24 Released on September 15, 2023, Revenue Order 161/2023 dictates that starting from January 1, 2024, any foreign income, regardless of its source (be it from employment, business, pension, or overseas assets), will be subject to taxation in Thailand upon its entry into the country, regardless of the year in which it was initially brought in. “Assessable income” means income that is taxable under this Chapter. Such income also includes a property or any other benefit received which may be computed into a monetary value, any amount of tax paid by the payer of income or by any other person on behalf of a taxpayer and tax credit under Section 47 Bis. My pension is quite near the minimum for tax but still as i see it subject to uk rules but i have no idea what this new rule means and whether my pension is considered assessable income in Thailand which to my understanding also has a double tax agreement with the UK
  • Expat Thailand

There is some confusing information coming out in Thailand 2024 regarding assessable income and pensions Although I currently live in Thailand my only income is my armed forces pension which was taxed at source although may now be under minimum. I am still a British national and my pension is payed to a uk bank account starting from January 1, 2024, any foreign income, regardless of its source (be it from employment, business, pension, or overseas assets), will be subject to taxation in Thailand upon its entry into the country Totally confused and more so by blogs and threads Where do I stand I extend here year by year but have been her more than 180 days