Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• CF83 Section 02 - question

Hello, I am currently living abroad and filling out my CF83 form. I understand I can use the CF83 form to: 1) pay for previous gaps in my NI, as well as 2) pay 'ongoing' voluntary contributions to secure my future pension. Section 02 on the form that asks about 'Period Gaps'. It only asks about being abroad during those gaps in my NI. But actually, I was UK-based for those particular periods - however, I would like to fill those periods as well as pay 'ongoing' voluntary contributions. Could you advise please? Thank you in advance.
  • Completing the CF83 form - wait until employment status changes?

I have recently left the UK and I would like to voluntarily contribute to NI payments to ensure I can receive full state pension upon retirement. Currently, I am not yet in employment, but I will resume working a new job abroad relatively soon. Is it best to wait to fill out the CF83 form until I begin work? As I know that this does influence amount to contribute and whether Class 2/3? (Or should I fill out now, and then update HMRC as/when with employment status?) The former feels simpler to do, as there is no 'rush' per se? Thanks for your help.