Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Self Assessment refund delays

RRSN : despite the HMRC reply above, I doubt that chasing HMRC by phone any further will get you anywhere. I had to make a formal complaint to get my refund finally issued after 6 months of waiting. I was given no explanation, no apology, and I would recommend that you escalate your case by complaining and/or getting your MP involved. "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"
  • RE: Self Assessment refund delays

Hello My self-assessment repayment was applied to the statement on 8 August, and the refund shown as pending. Knowing that this can sometimes take a week or two, I waited before phoning HMRC on 22 August - I was told that the repayment was subject to security checks, and that repayment would be made by 31 October. Phoning today (1 November) I am now told that this is subject to security checks and not to phone back before 10 January 2024. I appreciate that you can't give specific guidance here, but can you please advise how long security checks take? I am concerned that every time I phone HMRC, the deadline is arbitrarily moved, with no explanation of why.