Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 07 Aug 2023 13:44:04 GMT by
HMRC's unacceptable delay in refunding my overpaid tax is a cause of significant financial worry for me. My request for refund was confirmed on the 10th of July 2023. I use the online portal to communicate. The payment shows in my Personal Tax Account as Pending. The refund request confirmation states that (Paraphrase) - "HMRC aim to refund in 2 weeks or if additional security procedures are used, upto 4 weeks. Do not contact us before 4 weeks. The Self-Assessment phoneline is closed until the 4th of September. What?! Working with the Online chat I get such an impersonal service it makes it almost impossible to communicate effectively. Finally on attempt 3 I get through to someone a little more helpful, however, they are unable to progress anything because the Additional Security Checks are carried out by another department and they cannot contact or comment on the activities there. Just unacceptable! Then comes the threat that continuing to pursue HMRC could lead to further delays... When attempting to Challenge the verdict of Chat operator, all I get is a message saying "XXX has exited the Chat". This would be exactly the same as having the phone put down on me. Rude! Also, I have been told that the current set of Security delays could impact the refund upto September 25th. In chat number 2 I was told 10th October, so which might I believe? If HMRC feel it acceptable to end the discussion when the verdict is given, surely a consistent verdict is required in such a binary transaction? What will HMRC do to compensate me for the missed investment opportunity this delay is causing, or lost personal opportunity? Will interest be added? Ultimately, this cannot be considered an acceptable level of service. My cash is being with held by HMRC for no fault of my own, without the right to do so, and seemingly also outside of the advice given in HMRC communication. Is there a serious problem here? Is there a resource issue that needs addressing? When will the information provided by HMRC be consistent, correct and adhered to by HMRC? In order to support HMRC, I am happy to contact my local MP and request Questions be raised in the House if HMRC has some fundamental operating issues . What would HMRC wish me to contact my MP about, where is my support most helpful and on which specific topics? Please confirm so I can be most helpful. Finally, when should I expect you to release my very hard earned money? Note: My Money. What a shambles...
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 06:05:41 GMT by BigJohnTheBrikkie
I submitted my Tax Return on 14th April and it went Pending on 18th April, no communication and no payment. Has the Government run out of money as there is now way it should take nearly 4 months to pay out, Contact you MP Henry as I am doing this today, questions need to be asked.
Posted Wed, 09 Aug 2023 08:42:34 GMT by
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
Posted Fri, 13 Oct 2023 16:42:35 GMT by Paula Sparrow
I submitted a tax Return for a client on 14 June and we are still waiting for the repayment. "Security checks" is the only response I get when I phone. None of this is acceptable.
Posted Tue, 24 Oct 2023 09:37:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi Paula
You would need to contact HMRC to review. The agent priority helpline 0300 200 3311 or Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 01 Nov 2023 16:15:41 GMT by neil groom
Hello My self-assessment repayment was applied to the statement on 8 August, and the refund shown as pending. Knowing that this can sometimes take a week or two, I waited before phoning HMRC on 22 August - I was told that the repayment was subject to security checks, and that repayment would be made by 31 October. Phoning today (1 November) I am now told that this is subject to security checks and not to phone back before 10 January 2024. I appreciate that you can't give specific guidance here, but can you please advise how long security checks take? I am concerned that every time I phone HMRC, the deadline is arbitrarily moved, with no explanation of why.
Posted Wed, 08 Nov 2023 10:59:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi neil groom,
The timescale for the securtiy checks are based on the current position in HMRC.
If you have been advised the current timescale is 10 January 2024 then this would be the date we would need to allow for the checks to be completed, but, they can be completed before then.
If you have an onlne account if you check once the repayment is issued it will show the issue date. 
Thank you. 

Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 17:16:51 GMT by
Hello, I submitted a refund form on the 8th December 2023 and have had no responses whatsoever. As previous person(s) have stated, this is impacting on mine and my families lives financially and indeed mentally, and I will now need to look at borrowing some monies if my refund in not paid to me as promised very soon. Today I have tried to call the help line and 5 times I have been cut off! That also eqates to 45 minutes of my time, possibly more. So it highlights that neither the form submission system, the contact response system or the telephone system are fit for purpose and offer nothing in the way of service to tax paying persons. I am interested in what response I may receive here, thank you.
Posted Tue, 23 Jan 2024 11:19:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

We are sorry that you've been experiencing issues receiving your repayment.

While the amount of repayment requests we receive at this time of year may result in a delay in the processing of your own repayment request, if you've had no response at all, it may be that we haven't received your request.

You can try submitting the form again, but if you'd like to talk to someone, and you've had issues with our phone service, you might prefer our webchat. You can find it here:

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 26 Jan 2024 03:11:15 GMT by
Hello, I made another claim on the 2nd January, but still no response from that claim either.
Posted Tue, 27 Feb 2024 22:38:53 GMT by DocAngJohnson Johnson
It seems clear that 'security checks' kick in when a refund hits a certain value. If this is the case - then why allow clients to apply for a refund? Personally - I was overcharged tax last year as I had previously had 2 jobs - I left 1 job due to excessive tax yet HMRC still insisted on my paying an advance in July 2023. The self assessment due last year resulted in me having to sell my car to meet the due date. However - HMRC seem to be completely within their rights to hold my money and not pay additional interest on it. They keep kicking the can down the road
Posted Tue, 27 Feb 2024 23:23:02 GMT by DocAngJohnson Johnson
and...after posting - I find that the posts are being moderated - is this another word for 'censored'
Posted Wed, 28 Feb 2024 10:48:22 GMT by henrykissing Geddes
I applied for a refund 30/01/23 made an enquiry today to be told it was cancelled but not given a reason - have applied online again for a repayment, . Was told I had received a cheque (never received this ) in July for an amount for about £1290 but my account shows I have £2072.70 in credit ???? Was also told now I have to wait 10 week s the hell!!?? It used to get paid pretty quickly .

Email details removed from name 

Admin 
Posted Fri, 01 Mar 2024 07:05:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi henrykissing Geddes,
If we have to reissue your repayment cheque, we need to verify that the first cheque issued hasn't been cashed or deposited, before fully cancelling, then reissuing, your cheque.
This can take up to 10 weeks.
There are a few reasons why your more recent refund request was cancelled.
There may have been an error in the account details supplied, for example.
If you would like us to review your repayment requests again, contact us by webchat or phone here:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Sat, 02 Mar 2024 09:50:41 GMT by henrykissing Geddes
I ungderstand they need to check things but what I don’t understand is the random amount this mystery cheque was when the hmrc online account said I was due £1500 in a rebate from my PAYE job (this was before I entered the freelance jobs I had done in the year which I presume is why it’s £2000 now) where did the £300 go? Also the person on the chat wasn’t very helpful they wouldn’t tell me anything just kept saying they can’t divulge any info and if I phoned it would be the same. So basically I can’t know what’s happening with what at the end of the day is my money. Funny - hmrc are quick at letting you know when you owe them money but drag their heels when they owe you.
Posted Tue, 05 Mar 2024 11:41:19 GMT by RRSN
Hi, don’t know if anyone can help but I completed my self assessment in April 2023 and was told they needed to contact my employers. Couldn’t call HMRC as offices were closed and tried to leave it and give them time to make contact as I know they’re busy. Called beginning of December 2023 and was told all checks were complete and should get a repayment in 2 weeks. Didn’t receive anything and called again and told to wait until after the new year. Called beginning of January 2024 and told not to call back until all checks are done by 15th of February 2024. Called on the 16th of February 2024 and told the correct date for final checks was 20th or 21st of February 2024, called again on 22nd of February 2024 and was told there’s no update and they will chase the repayment department for updates on ‘security checks’ and this will take until 22 March 2024. It’s been almost a year now and I keep getting different information and just getting delays and I wonder if anyone has any idea how I can get some actual support with this. Would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 08:39:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi henrykissing Geddes,
We are sorry if you are having issues in receiving your refund.
To review the repayment we will need to access your record.
You will need to contact HMRC:
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 11:55:11 GMT by neil groom
RRSN : despite the HMRC reply above, I doubt that chasing HMRC by phone any further will get you anywhere. I had to make a formal complaint to get my refund finally issued after 6 months of waiting. I was given no explanation, no apology, and I would recommend that you escalate your case by complaining and/or getting your MP involved. "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"
Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 13:06:19 GMT by RRSN
Neil Groom: That’s definitely my favourite quote and I’ve done just that, made a complaint yesterday and will get MP involved if I don’t hear anything back in the next couple weeks because if I owed even a penny I know HMRC would be on my neck. Thanks so much for your help.
Posted Thu, 07 Mar 2024 09:07:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi RRSN Shoko,
We are sorry there has been a delay in the security checks being completed.
To review this you will need to contact HMRC to access your record:
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.