Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: SA required?

    Do I need to file a self assesment for old years? Below are my answer to the queries for that Assesment year. Did you work for yourself in that year? No Did you work as an ‘off-payroll worker’? No Did you get a pension? No What was your total income for the year? Between £50,000 and £150,000 Did you claim Child Benefit? No, I do not have children or did not claim Did any of your income come from UK property or land? No Did you get more than £10,000 from dividends or savings and investments? No Do you need to pay tax on any of the following? None of these Do you need to pay any Capital Gains Tax? No Did you hold a position that affects how you’re taxed? No
  • HMRC SA Penalty for last three years

    I earn only through employer and do not have any other sources of business income in the UK. I came to the UK via ICT VISA and filed my income tax return in 2020. However, due to the challenges brought about by the global COVID-19 pandemic and the serious health conditions of my close relatives, I had to return to my home country. Unfortunately, I suffered the loss of two beloved family members, which deeply impacted my mental well-being and clouded my ability to focus on administrative matters such as tax obligations. After some time, my employer called me back to the UK for a short-term assignment on a new VISA. However, I lost another close relative to cancer after coming back to the UK. The relentless mental strain of being far from my family and the pressing need to be by their side during this challenging period preoccupied my thoughts, overshadowing my awareness of UK tax obligations. Suddenly, I received a penalty notice with an amount close to £4K in my letterbox for not filing the SA return for three years. Could you please suggest how the fine amount can be waived off? I have now completed the tax return for all the preceding years.