Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:40:14 GMT by Adex123
I earn only through employer and do not have any other sources of business income in the UK. I came to the UK via ICT VISA and filed my income tax return in 2020. However, due to the challenges brought about by the global COVID-19 pandemic and the serious health conditions of my close relatives, I had to return to my home country. Unfortunately, I suffered the loss of two beloved family members, which deeply impacted my mental well-being and clouded my ability to focus on administrative matters such as tax obligations. After some time, my employer called me back to the UK for a short-term assignment on a new VISA. However, I lost another close relative to cancer after coming back to the UK. The relentless mental strain of being far from my family and the pressing need to be by their side during this challenging period preoccupied my thoughts, overshadowing my awareness of UK tax obligations. Suddenly, I received a penalty notice with an amount close to £4K in my letterbox for not filing the SA return for three years. Could you please suggest how the fine amount can be waived off? I have now completed the tax return for all the preceding years.
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2024 11:41:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi 

I am sorry for your loss.
If you have submitted the outstanding tax returns then you can now appeal the penalties and if successful the penalties will be cancelled Appeal a Self Assessment penalty for late filing or late payment

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.