Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: First payment on account for 2023-24

My question is in regards to the Self Assessment that I am completing for 2023-2024. I am an employee and not self employed. I pay taxes via PAYE, however, I did have some foreign income which increased my tax for 2022-2023. This was more than £3000. So I got a tax bill to pay as such: Pay by 31 Jan 2024 for Tax for 2023-2024 - £9451 - This I paid before 31 Jan 2024 Pay by 31 Jan 2024 for First Payment on Account of 2023-2024 - £4725.52 - I paid this before 31 Jan 2024 Pay by 31 Jul 2024 for Second Payment on Account of 2023-2024 - £4725.52 - I paid this before 31 Jul 2024 Now I am completing my Self Assessment for 2023-2024. I have paid all my taxes via PAYE and have included all my foreign income, etc. My total Tax Liability shows Tax due £4,968.61 to be paid before 31 Jan 2024. This is fair, but what I do not understand is, in which section of the Self Assessment do I show the amount that I already paid, i.e. (£4725.52 + £4725.52 = £9451.04) as this does not reflect in the 'Full Calculation'? My question is how do I show this advance payment as I could not find any section to add this in? I wondered if this should be added to the section of employment, but it doesn't mention in the help as it only says put the value from the P60. So I do not know how to show this advance payment done in the Self Assessment? I looked through all the sections but I couldn't find any section where I could add this value in advance tax paid in my current self assessment year. So in theory, my tax liability for 2023-2024 should actually be 0 and I should get a refund of my advance tax paid (£9451.04) minus the tax liability for 2023-2024 (£4,968.61).
  • How to accurately and reliably identify an offshore fund is reporting or non-reporting

Hello I have a list of Approved offshore reporting funds as published by HMRC every month https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/offshore-funds-list-of-reporting-funds I have invested in a few offshore funds in India and I do have their ISIN numbers. For the purpose of my Self Assessment, when referencing the list from above, I do not find the ISIN number in the list. However, when the accounting firm that I have appointed, have done the identification and they suggest that some of the funds are actually reportable and some are not. However, when I look at all those ISIN numbers, I am unable to find those ISIN numbers in the list of approved offshore reporting funds. What is the best way to identify if a fund is reportable or non reportable in the UK? I want to make sure that my Self Assessment is done correctly and that I need to have a method to identify if a fund is reportable or not? I am not happy with the service from the Accounting firm and I am not sure I can trust them so can I contact HMRC to confirm based on the Fund ISIN numbers to suggest if these are reporting funds or not?