Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Personal digital tax account with power of attorney

My client holds power of attorney for her mother, who has dementia. I have found answers on the forum to do with submitting the POA to HMRC, which my client will do. My question now is: is it possible for my client to set up a personal digital tax account for her mother? The mother has none of the forms of ID that are listed on the HMRC website. Following the death of my client's father, the mother has income above the various tax-free allowances for the first time in 2023-24 and so will in due course need to report - but it is not clear to me or to my client how to go about that, without digital access.
  • RE: Annual accounting

Managed to get through to the Annual Accounting helpline and sort this out - hangover from the migration problems last year - hoping that they will start taking DDs in a few days and won't ping me for late quarterly returns
  • Annual accounting

I run two companies that have, for many years, been on annual accounting for VAT, with returns prepared to 30 November. Last year there was a major mix-up over annual accounting which led to payments on account not being collected and "the system" not allowing me to file returns for a while. I realised this morning that I have not had the usual confirmation that annual accounting is continuing and the amount of payments on account that will be collected on 31 March, so I logged on to both companies' HMRC accounts - and found that HMRC is expecting quarterly returns for the periods to 29/2/24 (by 7/4/2024). I have done nothing to cancel annual accounting. What do I do? I don't want to file quarterly returns, and it is obviously too late now for HMRC to collect a DD on 31 March.