Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 17 May 2024 13:52:31 GMT by jon
Hi there, I have a limited company and I recently acquired a US client. For at least the next 12 months I would expect them to be my biggest client. In order to avoid the US withholding tax, I had to complete a W8 form and also speak to the IRS to get an EIN (Employer Identification Number). This I did, all forms completed and all good. However, I have had a letter from the IRS asking me to complete a 1065 form. From what I can tell, this is not specifically tax related, but it basically an annual return reporting sales, expenses and dividends etc through the company. A lot like a corporation tax return, but only for information purposes as my company will not be taxed in the US. The part I am unclear on, because the wording around the subject is unclear, is whether the IRS will attempt to tax me on the dividends taken from the company. It seems ridiculous that would, as I will be paying dividend tax on them here in the UK. But as I say, the wording is not clear. Does anyone here have any expertise in this area? Thanks in advance!

Name removed admin .
Posted Wed, 29 May 2024 07:41:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Jon,
We are unable to comment on matters or questions in relation to the USA IRS.
You will need to correspond directly with the IRS and seek clarification to the points/wording you consider as "unclear".
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2024 12:41:29 GMT by beece
We are a company limited by guarantee and recently acquired a US client. Can you let me know the correct W8 form to use? There are different versions of the W8 forms?
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2024 13:53:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 13 Response
Hi beece,
I am sorry but we have to direct you to our previous answer, provided above, to Jon.
HMRC can only answer queries relating to HMRC forms.
We cannot assist you with completion of the W8 and suggest you contact the United States (US) Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for help
Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.